Guardianship and Conservatorship Disputes in Georgia

Family Photo

If you are concerned about an aging loved one, you may be considering the need for a guardianship or a conservatorship to take care of their physical and financial needs. If you are fortunate, your aged loved one had the foresight and ability to draft a plan for their care before it was needed. If they are incapable to make these decisions due to mental or physical issues, you may need to take this responsibility upon yourself.

Guardianship and Conservatorship Explained

Guardianship is a process whereby the court assigns a person to become guardian over another individual. The guardian makes necessary decisions about medical care, where the individual under the guardianship will reside and any other decisions that will affect their physical well-being. A conservator is appointed by the court, and their focus is to manage the financial aspect of the individual, including any property or other assets. The court may choose to appoint one person to manage both, or it may be decided to assign these duties to two different individuals.

Disputes During Guardianship or Conservatorship

It can be difficult at times for families to come to a consensus about the necessity of a guardianship or conservatorship. Some family members may argue that the elderly individual does not need this assistance, or they will disagree with who should be tasked with the responsibility. Family members may also believe that the conservator or guardian is not acting in the best interests of their aged family member.

Legal Representation Matters

If you believe your family member is in need of guardianship or conservatorship, it is important to seek out experienced legal counsel. Lawyer Robert Turner is experienced in elder law and can help you in the guardianship or conservatorship process. The Turner Law team can assist you in providing the best guardianship or conservatorship for your loved one.

If you are concerned that your loved one is being mistreated by their current guardian or conservator, Turner Law is here to help. We can evaluate your concerns and help draft a plan to seek resolution. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.

Posted on the behalf of Turner Law, LLC