Decatur Estate Planning and Probate Lawyer
Meet Attorney Robert Turner
Georgia estate planning attorney Robert Turner combines 25 years of legal experience with a substantial educational background in estate, probate and tax law. Mr. Turner is admitted to practice before the U.S. Tax Court and all Georgia courts, and serves clients in the greater Atlanta area and throughout Georgia.
With a law degree, an MBA and a LL.M in taxation, Robert Turner has the technical background to use sophisticated estate- and tax-planning techniques to protect your family’s assets.
Click Here – to listen to Robert Turner talk with Business RadioX about estate and tax-planning techniques to protect your family’s assets.
Contact Us for a Free Initial Phone Consultation
For competent handling of your estate planning, elder law, probate or tax planning needs, call lawyer Robert Turner at phone number(866) 768-5365 or fill out the contact form on this web site. Our law office is located in historic downtown Decatur, Georgia, just off Decatur Square.
Robert E. Turner
Attorney Robert E. Turner practices law in Atlanta Metro area and throughout the state of Georgia where he primarily focuses his practice on:
- Elder Law
- Estate Planning
- Wills, Trusts, and Probate law
- Probate, Trust, and Estate Litigation
- Business Planning
- Tax Law and Tax Controversies
Attorney Turner began his legal career by clerking for Chief Justice “Bo” Torbert of the Alabama Supreme Court, where he wrote the opinions of the Chief Justice.
An MBA graduate of the University of Alabama, Birmingham, Turner decided after his one-year clerkship with the Alabama Supreme Court to continue his education at the University of Florida graduate tax program, where he received his Master of Laws in Taxation (LL.M.)
After graduating from the University of Florida College of Law graduate tax program, Attorney Turner worked with the international accounting firm Coopers and Lybrand (now Price Waterhouse Coopers) as a Tax Specialist working on estate planning and business tax matters. He was hired away from Coopers and Lybrand by AmSouth Bank (now Regions Bank) to work as Estate Planning Counsel and Trust Officer. At AmSouth he was working with the Bank’s customer’s attorneys drafting Wills, Trusts and other Estate Planning documents.
While Turner was the estate planning counsel at AmSouth Bank, Turner drafted and developed simple and complex estate plans, from simple wills to estate plans involving complex estate planning techniques for high net-worth clients.
Attorney Turner left AmSouth Bank to do more complex planning in the Atlanta. While in Atlanta and Decatur, Georgia area, he taught at John Marshal Law School as an adjunct professor in probate, trusts, and estates, and was a partner in the law firm of Chandler and Turner. Also, during this time, he successfully appealed the case of Chandler v. Miller from the U.S. 11th Circuit Court of Appeals to the U.S. Supreme Court, winning the case for his client on an eight-to-one vote by the U.S. Supreme Court justices.
Turner formed his own law firm, Turner Law, P.C. Turner Law handles estate planning, probate, probate and estate litigation, tax law, and tax controversies throughout the state of Georgia. Attorney Turner works with clients throughout the nation with probate issues in Georgia . Primarily, Attorney Robert Turner’s cases are in Decatur, Atlanta, Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Cumming, Marietta, Lawrenceville and the metro Atlanta Area including DeKalb County, Fulton County, Gwinnett County and Rockdale County. Attorney Turner represents clients involving disputes with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Georgia Department of Revenue.
Case of note:
- Chandler v. Miller, 520 U.S. 305 (U.S. Supreme Court 1997)
Areas of Practice
- Probate of Estates
- Adult Guardianship / Guardian and Guardianship Disputes and Litigation
- Estate Disputes and Litigation
- Elder Law and Medicaid
- Asset Protection and Medicaid
- Estate Planning and Asset Planning for Physicians
- VA Planning Aid and Attendance
- Special Needs Planning Special Needs Trust
- Estate Planning for Everyone: Simple to Complex
- Charitable Planning for Estates (e.g., GRITS GRATS GRUTS)
- 20% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Georgia, 1996
- Alabama, 1987
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1997
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1997
- U.S. Tax Court, 1999
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
- LL.M. – August, 1989
- Major: Taxation
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- J.D. – 1987
- Law Review: Cumberland Law Review, Associate Editor, 1985 – 1987
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama
- M.B.A. – 1986
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Birmingham Southern College, Birmingham, Alabama
- B.A. – 1983
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Honors: Martha Daniel Business Scholarship
- Major: Business
- “Alabama Real Property, Trust and Probate”, Editor-in-Chief, 1987
Honors and Awards
- Georgia Civil Liberties Award, 1997
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Atlanta Bar Association, Estate Planning and Probate Section, Member of Board
- DeKalb Estate Planning Counsel, 2002 – Present
- Georgia State Bar Association, Section on Taxation, 1996 – Present
- Birmingham Estate Planning Council, 1991 – 1995
Past Employment Positions
- John Marshall School of Law, Adjunct Professor of Wills, Trusts and Estates, 1996 – 1998
- Chandler & Turner LLC, Partner, 1996 – 1998
- Weaver, Boles and Elmore, Of Counsel, 1995 – 1997
- AmSouth Bank, Assistant Vice President and Estate Tax Planning Counsel, 1991 – 1995
- Coopers and Lybrand, Tax Associate/Specialist, 1989 – 1991
- Supreme Court of Alabama, Chief Justice C.C. Torbert, Law Clerk, 1987 – 1988
- Tax Preparation